Monday, December 22, 2008

Good Times and a Rant

(Nanuk the Red-Nosed Malamute had a very big red nose... and if you ever smelled him, you would know he's not a rose...)


Had another great weekend; I have unfortunately, however, lost my camera yet again. So I figured rather than wait to do a new blog until I have them up, I'll just get the words in here now and post them later 'cause I know I won't have time to do it tomorrow and then I'll have a whole new slew of pics to put up from Christmas, so here we go.... On Friday Secelia and Jon came over and we made naughty Christmas cookies. I am not going to say what some of them are for fear of offending. We had a snowman that had been shot, pac man, a kitty (got pretty maimed in the oven though) a bum complete with poo and other assorted items. Of course, what is a night of naughty cookies without the obligatory icing fight?



Saturday was mundane, got my oil changed and Eric and I finished up some shopping.

Sunday was, as always, housework and football. My damn Broncos... well I keep telling everyone that they lost on purpose so that next week's game with San Diego is really exciting. I also went to Ashlee's house and we made some Mud Puppies (I think that's what they're called) for the bosses. They were out of everything else we needed to make our other ideas, but I think this was a good one. I tried to kill Ashlee.... we made some coffee and were happily sipping away, then we decided to cut some of Molly's mats off (Ashlee's roomie washed her but didn't brush her out and Molly ended up with a bunch of mats from it). I was putting them on the counter, but it become grossly apparent when Ashlee tried to take a sip of her coffee that at some point my hand had strayed and instead placed a large hairball in her coffee. Oops!!!! I am so sorry!!!!


Then I ran home to get ready for Tommy's baptism in the Mormon church. Though I can't say I'm super thrilled about the whole thing, I do realize there are worse things my son could be. So I went with my dad, Secelia and Jon. It was okay... I was under the impression that TONS of Ben's family would be there and it would be super uncomfortable. Instead there were only a couple of them and they were all very nice to me. I even went to his house afterward for refreshments, it was awkward but not as bad as it could have been. I was definitely relieved to go though.....

However, yesterday Ben called me and things kind of went down the toilet. I am going to rant... so beware. He called because Jon had written something "inappropriate" on Tommy's baptism book page. Here I am envisioning all kinds of crazy-ass things, any of which Jon could be capable of.... I am paraphrasing, but it was something like, "I love you Tommy and remember that any path to enlightenment is okay." I was stunned that this was even an issue! I was quiet and apologetic for the most part, knowing that it would only lead to a big ugly fight if I were to agree or in any way back up what Jon had written - I know there is no talking to him, especially about church.

I would like to say my piece now though... I agree!!!!! Any path to enlightenment, or a connection with God or whatever, is OKAY!!!! And that would include the one that Tommy has so far chosen. Ben went on to say that this comment would make Tommy question his religion. What a ridiculous and asinine thing to say! Of course it won't. 1st: Tommy doesn't even understand that word and wouldn't give the comment a second thought right now. 2nd If any path is okay, including the Mormon one, why would that make Tommy question anything? 3rd He also needs to realize that not everyone will be choosing that path and he needs to accept and love those people as well - especially since his mother will never be walking that particular path. 4th If Tommy ever did question the Mormon church, it certainly wouldn't be because someone said "any path is okay" it would be because he has experienced things or thought about things and for whatever reason, they don't make sense with their teachings or whatever. What I am saying is that it would be based on a personal discovery and not on what someone else says - he will be hearing others voicing their opinion on the church (both for it and against it) for all of his life; we all do.... he has to choose what he wants to believe, not what others want him to believe and that goes for both sides. This is a personal thing for him and no one else.

But like I said, throughout the conversation I remained apologetic and neutral.. until Ben asked if I agreed with him. After a thoughtful pause, I said, "I understand why you feel that way." And it just exploded from there. I could go into detail, but it just serves to get me angry and what's the point? I think it's pretty darn silly to tell anyone that there is only one way to do anything, even in math there are several way to get to the number 3.... 1+2, 8-5, 3 x 1, etc. Finding your spiritual way in life is so different for each person, even members of the same church. One last moan and groan: Ben also cited taking Tommy to church teaches him morals... I am SOOOOOO sick and tired of hearing that crap not only from him but from others as well.... parents can teach morals just as well, maybe even better than churches. When you as a parent teach them, you are in direct control of what your child is learning. We see the news all the time when some member of a church has done some awful thing. Child abuse, stealing, embezzling, etc. The point is, you don't really know who is teaching your child unless it's you. There are plenty of sickos out there going to church every Sunday (and plenty of fabulous people too...) and there are conversely lots of people that don't go to church who are honest, charitable and genuinely good people. So there you have it. I feel like I could go on forever, but to what end? Love and peace to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment