Monday, November 10, 2008

Om



This last weekend was spent mostly laying around and doing housework, but on Sunday we did something pretty cool.... we went to a Tibetan Buddhist Gonpa. It was so different from anything I've ever done, but it was really neat. They chant a lot in Tibetan, so for the most part I have no idea what was said. It was beautiful on the inside, nothing like what you'd expect from the outside.

The reason we went was because Eric is in a health class at the University of Utah, and though this class pretty much has nothing to do with his major (Parks and Recreation), he has to do a paper on Tibetan refugee health disparities... pretty hard subject to search for on the Internet so he thought it would be easiest to just speak with a Tibetan refugee. Unfortunately, there weren't any worshipping that day... but the Llama Thupten (pictured below) gave him some names of people to talk to.

Although it was a bit uncomfortable, just because I didn't know what was expected of me, I really enjoyed it. I really want to go back and learn more .... here's their website if you're interested in learning more: http://www.urgyensamtenling.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment