Thursday, September 18, 2008

Failed Rescue Attempt

Yesterday, my boss Blaine asked me to "do my good deed for the day." Eyeing him questioningly, I was told that a bird had flown into the building (happens a lot here) and was laying on the ground. He knew I am a sucker for all things animal and that we have a lot of magpies who are plenty happy to take a free and easy meal. I, of course, felt pity for the poor little guy and scooped him up to bring him in for some rehabilitation. I put him in a box to give him time to "come to" because he was still breathing.



After a little time passed, he was on his feet again and moving his head around so I thought he'd be okay. I went to let him go around 3pm but he wasn't ready - wouldn't budge. I brought him back in until 5 and tried again... still no go. I thought Eric would kill me if I brought him home, so I nudged him out of the box and left him hiding in the bushes... I was worried about him but didn't know what else to do. Much to my displeasure, when we came in this morning there was definitive evidence that the magpies had gotten their meal after all. I feel so bad about the whole thing! Next time, the hapless creature is going home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment